How Does Your Passion Define You?


 




What is your definition of passion? Is it something internal, something you act out? Of course, it can be both. Where do your passions lie? What do you wrap your heart around?

One of my favorite movies is "Amazing Grace." If you've never heard of this movie, you must watch it. It is the story about how William Wilberforce defeated slavery in Great Britain. So inspirational! I would say that William Wilberforce embodied passion. He saw something that disturbed him deeply and he made it his life's mission to eradicate it. Even when stumbling blocks were thrown in his path, he did not flinch.

I am a Christian. I have trusted Jesus as the only way to heaven and I love Him more than I can say. But, how am I truly passionate about Him? Would I do anything He asked of me and, like Wilberforce, not flinch at stumbling blocks? I'm not talking about making mistakes. I am saying, though, that I sometimes use mistakes as an excuse to not wholly give myself to Him.

Wilberforce fought slavery. Yet, there is another kind of slavery which is much more deadly. It is the slavery of people's souls to Satan. Am I fighting this kind? Or am I sitting on the fence of wanting to please the world and also wanting to somehow please Christ? Jesus calls us to follow Him, to be passionate about Him, and to leave the world behind. When we do this, and only then, will we be equipped to change the world and to rescue souls from Satan's grip.

I heard a quote once and I wish I could remember the author or the exact wording. But, I'll quote it anyway. "The world has yet to see what God can do with one man (or woman) wholly given to him."  I pray that God will help me to be a passionate Christian for Him, to keep my eyes on the Savior, and to do whatever He asks of me.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment